PixieLive3-beta2 incoming, tell me what you need

I'm preparing the new version of PixieLive, tell me the software you need, so i can include it from the beginning!

The work focuses mostly on flexible packaging of modules, allowing everyone to remove all the unneeded software obtaining a smaller system, but allowing who want more features to have them.

The default Desktop Manager will be probably the new enlightenment-0.17 (E17) since it's really efficient. Anyway gnome-2 will be included as usual.

I will include every driver you ask for, if it's included in the 3.6.11 kernel or if it's relatively easy to install, just ask for it!

(for example I have been asked to add the RTL8169 driver for the Fit-PC2...)

If you need some specific software please ask for it in the comments!

Comments

1. On Tuesday, January 15 2013, 21:04 by matrixrio

this is really lifesaver linux for my gma500 based laptop.

really fast and usable

i want to say thank you much!

2. On Sunday, January 20 2013, 04:55 by djinnifer

please distribute an iso =D

3. On Wednesday, January 23 2013, 17:18 by Rahul

1. Chrome
2. smplayer
3. mplayer with vaapi support
4. flash plug-in
5. docky

4. On Thursday, February 7 2013, 11:01 by blugeco

I would like Eclipse, Rhythmbox, get-iplayer ...

Less important but nice to have an Email client (thunderbird or evolution) and the Jupiter applet
(http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/get-mo...)

Thanks Christian, keep up the good work.

5. On Friday, February 8 2013, 07:32 by Corrado

+1 for the iso :)

6. On Friday, February 8 2013, 17:32 by Xlfdll

Is it possible to add support for Japanese and Chinese support?
Currently when I was using PixieLive, I found all Japanese and Chinese characters cannot be displayed.

If it has the option to install IMEs, it will be better,

7. On Tuesday, February 12 2013, 07:51 by tommy

showfoto would be so great...

8. On Tuesday, February 19 2013, 08:35 by Jim

I'd like to see Calibre added as an app.

9. On Monday, March 25 2013, 17:28 by GANDALf

Looks great but ethernet and WiFi are not working on Acer One 751h. Also, it would be great to provide iso and a way for permanent, real install on disk.

Best regards.

10. On Wednesday, March 27 2013, 09:21 by Christian Lorandi

@GANDALf:

• probably the network drivers of the 751h were missing in the previous kernel config, i will make sure to include them.
  • You can already perform a normal install manually, by extracting all the modules into an empty partition on your disk.

GParted (which can help you with partition creation) will be included.

I have no time to write a tool which perform the extraction (if you do it by hand, you perform your own checks, to perform them from a tool requires a lot of work).
After the extraction you only need to copy the content of the boot directory in /boot, setup an /etc/fstab for your system and install grub or another bootloader.
11. On Wednesday, March 27 2013, 09:34 by Christian Lorandi

Small Update:

The system is essentially ready, but:

• mplayer with vaapi works only the first time you run it, after that, if you want to see another movie, you will have to reboot (it's an emgd - vaapi related problem, i tried different mplayer versions with no luck)

I'm working on an hybrid save settings system, you will be able to:

• save your programs settings on demand, as usual in PixieLive
  • save your "sensitive" data (e.g. wifi passwords, emails, firefox passwords, cookies, session, etc...) into an encrypted filesystem (if you loose your pendrive no one will be able to use your accounts or to read your emails
  • use notes, email (thunderbird), dropbox and personal organizer (osmo) like on an installed systems, every changes will be immediately saved on your pendrive (usually encrypted) for a better desktop experience

Christian

12. On Tuesday, April 2 2013, 00:19 by adam

Can you please include drivers for:

LAN: Realtek RTL8101E and r8169

I am not sure if you can distribute the wifi module (Dell Wireless 1510 802.11n Half Mini Card / Broadcom BCM4322 which works with external kernel module which is closed source Broadcom STA driver (wl))

But having the realtek LAN driver running means I can at least tinker with getting wifi running later.

Thanks again!!

13. On Tuesday, April 2 2013, 09:29 by Christian Lorandi

@adam:

r8169 will be included (they already are in my development, unreleased, version)

I will probably add also the broadcom b43 wl-5.100.138 which should support your BCM4322)

14. On Tuesday, April 2 2013, 13:21 by adam

Fantastic - thank you.

Any idea of how long before you will upload another alpha or beta version for a trial?

Cheers and thanks so much for your hard work!!

15. On Tuesday, April 2 2013, 14:43 by Christian Lorandi

@adam:

I suppose I could release it also now, for testing purposes...

but I will need some time to prepare the package, so I think it will be released this week, I don't know when exactly

(I'm going crazy trying to fix mplayer vaapi...)

RC incoming :-D !!!

16. On Tuesday, April 2 2013, 22:37 by adam

That would be great - looking forward to it! :)

17. On Monday, April 8 2013, 00:43 by Christian Lorandi

The release is almost ready, to avoid stupid errors (it's almost 01:00 AM) i will perform some additional checks tomorrow (Monday).

The release is expected for tomorrow (monday 08 April) afternoon, using bittorrent.

Christian

18. On Monday, April 8 2013, 00:48 by adam

Yay! - thanks so much for your hard work, I am looking forward to testing it out :)

Pixielive definitely breaths a new life into what is otherwise abandoned hardware!